So What? Jazz and Improvised Music Research and its Impact on Artists, Scenes and Society
2018 AJIRN Conference: So What? Jazz and Improvised Music Research and its Impact on Artists, Scenes and Society
The Australasian Jazz and Improvisation Research Network (AJIRN) is pleased to announce a call for papers/presentations for a 3-day research conference on jazz and improvised music presented by The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music – Monash University in association with the 2018 Melbourne International Jazz Festival (MIJF).
So What? is a timely invitation to explore the impact of jazz and improvisation research on artists and communities of practice and the way we put jazz and improvisation knowledge to work in a variety of different fields and settings. Those interested in preparing proposals may consider the following questions:
- What are the implications of jazz and improvisation research for other artistic and research communities?
- How are audience attitudes shaped by institutional agendas?
- How does researchundertakenin the academy feedback into communities of practice and how might this best be measured?
- What can we do to enhance our impactwithinour own research and creative communities?
Please note that this list is by no means either exhaustive or exclusive and that we welcome proposals for presentations that include live performances
Two presentation formats will be offered:
- Presentations/papers of 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
- Post Graduate Student research papers of 10 minutes followed by 10 minutes of discussion led by an expert panel. Post Graduate papers can be on a topic specific to the individual’s current research.
Friday June 1st – Sunday June 3rd, 2018
Friday: 5:00pm – 6:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am – 5:00pm
Paris Cat Jazz Club
6 Goldie Place, Melbourne 3000
Full: $250 + GST
Student: $150 + GST
Conference fee includes catering.
AJIRN Executive Committee
- Robert Burke (Convener) Associate Professor – Monash University, Co-ordinator of Jazz and Popular Music
- Fiona Burnett (Secretary) University of Melbourne
- Christopher Coady Lecturer in Musicology, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, University of Sydney
- Roger Dean Professor – austraLYSIS, MARCS Institute, Western Sydney University
- Nick Haywood – Senior Lecturer, Conservatorium of Music, University of Tasmania
- Bruce Johnson – Adjunct Professor, Communications, University of Technology Sydney, Docent and Visiting Professor, Cultural History, University of Turku Finland, Visiting Professor, Music, University of Glasgow Scotland
- Andrys Onsman Associate Professor, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne & Zelman Cowen School of Music, Monash University
|Contact Name||Fiona Burnett|