Enhancing Skills in Paediatric Physiotherapy - Introductory Course
Enhancing skills in paediatric physiotherapy (introductory course)
This course is suitable for physiotherapists who have recently graduated, or those who are taking on a paediatric caseload after a period away from this area of practice.
Unfortunately this course is not available to non-physiotherapists.
At the completion of this course it is expected the participant will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of normal development across the spectrum of childhood, within the context of normal variations.
- Identify paediatric conditions which are appropriate for physiotherapy intervention.
- Recognise the scope of a comprehensive paediatric physiotherapy assessment.
- Demonstrate understanding of the elements of a comprehensive paediatric physiotherapy assessment for children presenting with cardiothoracic, musculoskeletal or neurological conditions.
- Identify appropriate assessment tools for specific paediatric conditions.
- Conduct prioritised systematic assessments for different paediatric conditions across the spectrum of childhood and adolescence.
- Determine the child's main problems based on the assessment findings.
- Identify and communicate the important findings of their paediatric physiotherapy assessments that warrant further assessment and / or intervention and / or referral to other practitioners, especially ‘red flags'.
- Set SMART goals for the child in conjunction with their family.
- Identify and apply appropriate evidenced based or best practise interventions to specific paediatric conditions.
- Demonstrate sensitive and appropriate communication at all times when working with children, their parents / grandparents / carers.
- Demonstrate appropriate and professional communication with other health care professionals, both internal and external to their own health care setting.
- Identify limits to their own practice and recognise when to request assistance from senior physiotherapy or relevant clinician within or external to their own workplace.
- Demonstrate competence and confidence to work autonomously as the physiotherapist for paediatric inpatients, for example on weekend shifts, or community/ambulatory clients whilst always identifying limits to their own practice and calling for assistance when appropriate.
3rd September, 2018 – 30th Sept, 2018
With face to face day Saturday, 13th October, 2018
For international physiotherapists
While we welcome the participation of qualified international physiotherapists, please be mindful of the following points before you register:
1. For all Monash University physiotherapy courses, including short courses, you must meet the minimum English language requirements which is the equivalent to International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 7.0 (no band lower than 6.5);
2. The courses have been developed for the Australian context and may or may not be relevant to international settings.
|Contact Phone||03 9904 4468|